Sunday, April 17, 2011

Diary Entry 67: Saigon, Sunday Night, 26 September 1965

                                                                                Saigon
                                                                                Sunday Night, 26 September 1965 


This has continued to be a good day since I wrote this afternoon.  However, I didn’t go to the Rex for the cookout after all.  Major Metheny and Commander Schafer talked me into going to the Hong Kong instead and having one of the filet mignons there.  I was hungry enough for it to be good, but it turned out mediocre---a little too tough and stringy, so it was not as enjoyable as the last one I had at a Rex cookout.  Haven’t had a cookout since Grady moved and took his grill, so perhaps I’ll buy a hibachi next payday and cook my own steak at home next time. 

I forgot to mention it in my last entry when I wrote that Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Detherow had breakfast with me---Lieutenant Colonel Humphrey at Leavenworth who broke up with his family---Detherow said Humphrey committed suicide at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. and the secretary he ran off with was pregnant.  I sure hated to hear that, as everybody lost all the way around. 

The news just came over the radio and the report sounded like we are winning.  I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to the radio, but will sure be glad to get home and watch TV again.  Been so busy that I have not missed it much, but it would really be a treat to see it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment