Friday, February 18, 2011

Diary Entry 28: Saigon, Friday Night, 16 July 1965

                                                                                   Friday Night, 16 July 1965

Considering everything, this has been a rather pleasant day.  While I didn’t do much productive work, did not worry about what didn’t get done for a change.  At 7:30 p.m., just locked everything up and came home.

Earlier today, I thought it would be nice to go to the Rex or to a fancy restaurant and have a big supper as I felt hungry.  Later, though, was reminded that Mr. [Robert] McNamara (Secretary of Defense) arrived today for talks so this is a good night for US personnel NOT to be out.  So am going to have a peanut butter and a cheese sandwich here.  That may not be the most appetizing menu, but is a pretty safe one!

Went to the commissary and PX today and replenished my supplies.  Got 3 kinds of cheese, peanut butter, crackers, jelly, potted meat, pork and beans, Vienna sausage, fruit juice (orange and tomato), peanuts, potato chips, deviled ham, bread, and mayonnaise.  At the PX, bought some washing powder, starch, cigarettes, a drinking glass, can opener, knife, and water jug.  Since Grady moved out, the household items have been gone too, so it was necessary to start to get some of my own.  Eventually, I want to get a coffee pot and a hot plate.  Noticed that the PX has a much better line of stock now that the Army has taken over than they did previously under the Navy.

Well, let’s see what my day looked like on a schedule:

  1. Woke up at 5:30.
  2. Bathed, shaved, and dressed by 6:30.
  3. Had breakfast at the Rex 6:30-7:00.
  4. Arrived work at 7:15.
  5. Attended staff conference 7:30-8:05.
  6. Read messages from Washington and Honolulu 8:05-10:00.
  7. Prepared staff messages back 10:00-11:00.
  8. Attended planning conference with BG DePuy at 11:30-1:00 p.m.
  9. Lunch at PX snack bar 1:30-2:30 p.m.
  10. Conference with US Operations Mission man on how we are going to feed the civilian population by airlift for the rest of the year, 2:30-4:30.
  11. Prepared staff papers for Gen. Crowley, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
  12. Arranged accommodations for C-130 aircraft and crews at Vung Tau, 6:30-6:45 p.m.
  13. Prepared papers for tomorrow’s meetings, 6:45-7:30 p.m.
  14. Quit and came to BOQ 7:30 p.m.

Didn’t get much real work done, but did not worry about it, either.

See so many people I’ve known before, it’s hard to remember who I haven’t seen!  Saw Lieutenant Colonel Tom Raney, who taught at Leavenworth in Department of Division Operations, yesterday and today.  He is in charge of the Emergency Actions Center and we deal closely on the airlift.  Seems like I see hundreds of my Leavenworth students go by.  Yesterday saw Chaplain Jones from Leavenworth and a Captain Graves who was in Allied Personnel 2 years ago.  Expect to see many more of my friends and acquaintances in the future.

Monday  I must brief an Assistant Secretary of Defense, so there goes Saturday and Sunday. Sure wish I could get a day off to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment